Fire Guts Clothing Stores in Jinja’s Napier Market :: Uganda Radionetwork

The fire started at 9 p.m. and continued until midnight, leveling one of the clothing stores which had just stocked bales of second-hand clothes and shoes. The police fire and rescue service unit alongside Red Cross officials brought the blaze under control before spreading to surrounding units in the market.

Jinja Police are investigating a fire that engulfed a clothing store in Napier Market last night.

The fire started at 9 p.m. and continued until midnight, leveling one of the clothing stores which had just stocked bales of second-hand clothes and shoes. The police fire and rescue service unit alongside Red Cross officials brought the blaze under control before spreading to surrounding units in the market.

The market, which is located in the central business district of Jinja, serves more than 2,000 traders who mainly sell second-hand clothes, hardware and general merchandise.

Badiru Musisi, one of the traders in the market, suspects that the fire was started by a short circuit since all the stores and shops in their area are legally connected to UMEME’s prepaid electricity consumption system.

//Cue in; “amasanyalaze tegabibwa…

Get out… kye’nsubila.”//

Zulah Habibu, another trader, told URN that their market leaders have recently embarked on a campaign to decongest market access roads that had been taken over by trading activities. She says the exercise made it easy for the fire engines to access the affected areas and prevent the fire from razing the market.

//Cue in; “tuvudewo…

Watch out… nebatutaasa. ”//

Abdul Kitakule, the store’s department manager, challenged his colleagues to buy fire extinguishers, which he said are essential to contain fires in the primary stages.

//Cue in; “amagezi ge’mpa…

Cue out…kutaasa mbera.”//

Kiira Regional Police spokesman James Mubi said preliminary findings indicate the fire started because of loose electrical connections in the stores.

Meanwhile, Kenneth Kategaya, director of the Jinja Red Cross branch, rallied members of the general public to avoid crowding the fire scenes, which he says will save them from suffocation and contracting respiratory diseases, resulting from the inhalation of unfiltered gases in these areas.

//Cue in; “There was a fire…

Warning… not really good. ”//

Anne G. Cash